Role & Responsibilities:
The Research Associate will play a significant role in finding valuable information from a variety of sources to enhance coverage in Sports Business Journal and Sports Business Daily’s various products. SBJ and SBD rely heavily on presenting data and information, and the person who fills this role will have to know not just where to get information that might be hard to find but how to think about unique ways of presenting existing, available information in creative, readable and useful manners for our various publications.
This person will also be tasked with working with the Research Director and the various editors on any projects that arise, including some that might have a tight turnaround on deadline. Week-to-week projects could include providing information for various front-of-the-book items, including State of Play, and back-of-the-book features such as Careers or Faces & Places. There will also be multiple long-term projects in play at any given time, including those dealing with topics such as attendance, sponsorships, television ratings and executive turnover at various teams, leagues and companies.
Some fact-checking will be involved as well, requiring corroboration of information through multiple, official sources. Writing opportunities could arise, particularly if the candidate has his or her own ideas to present.
Required Education, Experience and Skills
* Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
* Experience with writing or reporting preferred
* Strong news judgment
* Familiarity with AP style
* Experience with management of editorial projects
* Attention to and stickler for detail
* Work well under deadline
* Strong understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure
* Interest in and familiarity with sports and the business side of sports a plus
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
* Perform weekly tasks for immediate publication in SBJ and/or SBD
* Ability to spot important trends in the industry and the best way to present them numerically or graphically
* Awareness of key trends and people in sports business and how to use that knowledge to supplement stories in SBJ
* Work well independently and in collaboration with multiple editors and writers
* Take on any other assignments and assist in other projects — conferences, lists, honors — as needed
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
General office environment. Extensive computer use required. Position will be based in Charlotte, N.C. Position reports to Executive Editor.
If interested, send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
American City Business Journals, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The company considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable city, state or federal law.