Reporting to the American Hockey League Board of Governors:
The President and CEO is responsible for the general supervision and direction of all of the business
affairs of the American Hockey League. The chief executive officer is responsible for interpreting and
applying the Constitution, By Laws, Regulations and Policies of the AHL, including all aspects of the
Collective Bargaining Agreement with the Professional Hockey Players Association.
His or her regulatory leadership must ensure the integrity of competition in the AHL as well as
ensuring that member clubs and participants act in the best interests of the League and the sport.
The President acts as an arbiter in disputes between member clubs, represents the League in contract
negotiations with corporate partners, and acts as a liaison with the National Hockey League and its
member clubs. He or she represents the League in collective bargaining with the Professional Hockey
The President administers all of the financial affairs of the League, including preparation of League
budgets and financial reports, sales and marketing budgets and financial reports, and Calder Cup
Playoff financial management.
The President acts to protect and grow franchise values through cultivating owners and markets and
has a fiduciary responsibility to the membership in managing financial matters in the best interest of
The President directs and manages all League expansion, relocation or membership transfer activity
including negotiations with prospective investors, civic leaders, arena management, and NHL
The President has a primary responsibility in situational and crisis management on behalf of the
The President is responsible for developing and implementing strategic and operational plans for the
League. The CEO provides leadership and direction to League staff and manages their activity with
respect to sponsorship sales, marketing programs, promotional and licensing agreements, media
relations and communications, broadcast rights, and special events.
Essential Skills for Position
• Proven highly successful strategic leader
• Demonstrated experience in overseeing a wide variety of operational issues in the
• Exceptional relationship building skills; establishes trust and credibility quickly with a
wide range of stakeholders
• Proven success in negotiating multi-stakeholder agreements, i.e. collective bargaining,
officiating agreements, league to league development agreements
• Proven success in leading staff and stakeholders in a variety of locations
simultaneously and effectively
• Expertise and demonstrated results regarding:
o Revenue Generation (Licensing, Sponsorship, Broadcast, Digital Platforms,
o Media and Communications
• Management of professional sports teams
• Sufficient leadership experience in sport to gain credibility and trust within the NHL
and AHL hockey management peer group
• Proven ability to set and execute a shared vision for the organization
• Must be comfortable and have experience interacting with and being accountable to a
• Proven track record of building effective client relationships, driving business
development, and encouraging process improvement
• A strong understanding of the National Hockey League and the American
Hockey League and their relationships
• Connectivity and influence in the hockey community is an important element in this
Applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by close of business
on Friday, November 1st, 2019.
Candidates will only be contacted if shortlisted to participate in the interview process.